Thursday, December 11, 2014

Unexpected

I would not have been able to predict the last 17 days with a crystal ball. People I have met have been unexpectedly kind, and I have been refreshingly relaxed and feel like the best version of me. I don't think I ever realized how much of a toll my jobs and perhaps my lifestyle have significantly effected my temperament. A lot of things have been put into perspective.

And now to the good stuff.

1. I spent the last 10 days travelling with a guy that I met on Peru Hop. He is 6'3 and blondish. You all  know what I look like. We looked like an odd couple. People simply could not understand that we were only friends. We were asked if were a couple so many times, we started telling people "we are getting divorced" and "this is our divorce trip." I am not sure people got that we were being sarcastic. I'm positive some of them think Americans actually take divorce trips, which to me is right up there with "consciously uncoupling."

2. Catcalling is gender neutral here. While walking down the street I have been called - prima morena (brown cousin), morena morena (brown brown), aye mami, and have been offered numerous rides. The guys have been called - carne blanca (white meat) and primo blanca (white cousin). I am giving the literal translations, maybe these are cultural terms of endearment I am misunderstanding.

3. A black American woman travelling in Peru is apparently a novelty. I am considered exotic. This concept is mind boggling to me. Also, people still think the line, "I've never been with a black women," makes a gal want to immediately drop her panties. Once again, I do not want to be your token. I am also curious has this line ever worked? Would a guy care if I had never been with -- a ginger gymnast -- is he now more inclined to sleep with me?!

4. People have been incredibly kind. By people, I mean fellow travelers. It's like we are all a part of a unexpected family. I have seen people take care of a complete stranger with food poisoning, someone gave me a bottle of water and granola bar when I was at Machu Picchu because I was feeling faint, and seen someone negotiate a fair price for someone they saw getting swindled -- people seem more willing to treat you how they want to be treated. And it's these small acts of kindness that give me hope, especially after the Eric Garner decision -- that people will do the right thing, simply because it's the right thing.

5. The world is small. I ran into a girl from Kearny, NJ on the beach in Paracas. Then two people from Wisconsin, including  one who works in politics in Milwaukee and interned for a state rep that I personally know.

6. I shared a hostel room with 5 Chilean guys. They sang at 7am, were unbashful about being continuously naked around me, and dubbed me their honorary brother as they were impressed with my mack skills. I am not sure if this is a preview of what is to come in Chile, but I'm excited.

In the first leg of my trip I have been to - Lima, Paracas, Ballestas Islands, Ica, Huachina, Arequipa, Colca Canyon, Cuzco, Machu Picchu and several small towns and beaches along the way. Peru has not disappointed -- here's to Chile one upping Peru!






No comments:

Post a Comment