Saturday, October 4, 2008

Dubs and the Dam


Dubs aka Dublin


Where do I begin - our hostel was named The Shining and it did the movie justice. The hostel reminded us of Annie's room at the orphanage and to get to our beds we had to shimmy as there was no room if you walked normally. I have pasted below the review I posted on hostelworld.com to give a more detailed description of our experience there!


"We booked a room for 12 and there were 14 beds jam packed into a room. My friend's bed( aka Sharonda's) was pushed together with another bunk bed and she was laying directly with a random guy- there was no room to separate the beds. My friend (aka me) definitely woke up with a rash from the bed. The bathroom showers leave very little to the imagination ie you can see through them besides one strategically placed stripe across the shower door."

NEVER stay at THE SHINING! - EVER!!!!

Temple Bar area was fun and I swear its was the first time I've seen an entire city drunk. I have a lot of funny catch phrases from that weekend and I did met A LOT of interesting characters. Examples ......

Andres entering the girls bathroom, "Haffa are you taking a taco?" Please note "taco" is code for the dirty dirty in the bathroom. I am in fact at this very moment looking for Andres on the street as he has abandoned Sharonda with Mustafa/Mufasa who is relentlessly hitting on her!

More about Mustafa/Mufasa...who is mad that I am dating this "white guy" Andres (Andres is not white -he's Peruvian and Paraguayan) and we are in fact just friends. Mustafa has a change of heart about "my bf Andres" in an attempt to build solidarity tells Andres "When I look at you all I see is Black, we're all black!" - huh?

Drunk Guy who has befriended us at the fast food place shouts to the cops, "He's not homeless, that's my Uncle Fancy!" Uncle Fancy is in fact a homeless man that the drunk guy was feeding, Drunk Guy and Uncle Fancy then got arrested! (We ate the rest of his fries lol)

The city was ridiculous overpriced a burger would cost $12 and that didn't even include fries which would be an extra $4. I think this was my first and last time I'd ever go to Dubs!

The Dam aka Amsterdam

After my experience in Dublin with the hostel - we opted for a hotel - Thank god!

Amsterdam is gorgeous the canals reminded me of being in Venice. If you go, you must stop by Anne Frank's house - definitely worth the money. For the record, the street and the sidewalk are one in the same - resulting in a couple of near death encounters with the trams and the vicious bicycle riders!

I must mention one quote from the trip, "Cavemen have rules too Haffa, I swear!" -Andres
The funny thing is he was dead serious -- how special!

Translations UK - US

Soft Cheese = Cream Cheese
Public School = Private School
State Schools = Public School

To Let = Rent / Lease
Cheque = Check
Muppet = Idiot

Pin (pronounced penny, usually said by old people) = Apron
Tipex = Whiteout


Next on the list: Italy (Rome and Florence) - Prague - Madrid - Home ( in 47 days woo hoo!)

Click this picture for pics from Dublin.

Dublin



Click this picture for pics from Amsterdam.

From Amsterdam

1 comment: