Monday, May 26, 2008

Let the Good Times Roll....

Paris vs. London.

Paris: Shower water feels like silk on my skin.
London: Rain showers happen daily.
Winner: Paris!

Paris: The food is amazing and it's breathtakingly beautiful.
London: I live here and the Great Britain Pound is worth more than the Euro.
Winner: London!

Paris: The guys are hot and speak a language that sounds sexy even though I don't understand any of it.
London: The longer I live here the cuter the men become and they have British accents.
Winner: Paris!

And the winner is ...PARIS!

Side Note: I had an amazing time in Paris and the trip reminded me of why I wanted to live overseas. I now want to learn French and move to the south of France.


Job Update:

1. Everyday people refer to me as Abdullah. On average it takes approx 6 emails with an individual for them to figure out my first name is in fact Hafeezah.

2. I am told that it is acceptable for people to send rude emails to me because they work at "prestigious universities." Glad to know that only certain people deserve respect, I'll keep that in mind, and place it in the completely unacceptable category.

3. The manager I directly report to thinks I'm doing a fantastic job. Yay!

4. I absolutely adore my coworkers --best part about working here! They're helping me assimilate to the British drinking culture by taking me to happy hour at least twice a week.


Bill Cosby Style Tale: One of the girls I went to Paris with Grand Uncle from Ireland told her this story when she was 8 (thank god I never had it as bad as this guy claims ).

"I use to walk to school barefoot there and back through the snow and sleet. A lot of the other kids would stand in the cow sh*t to warm their feet on the walk to school and I was always tempted to because my feet were freezing, but I never did. And everyone who did stand in the cow sh*t ended up getting cancer!"


Side Note: Cancer? .... really didn't see that one coming. It's good to know that everywhere in the world adults have ridiculous tales about their childhoods.

Translation Guide: (UK to American)
Hundreds and Thousands
= Sprinkles
Snogging
= Kissing
Stag Party
= Bachelor Party
Hen Party
= Bachelorette Party
Queue
= Line (like the kind at a grocery store, club, etc.)
Winding Up
= Pulling your leg or teasing
Sprite = Lemonade
Tube
= Metro/Subway
Pulled
= Hookup
The Bird = Woman (generally when referring to ones wife, ex "the bird went to see her mother's this weekend, so I have the house to myself ")
Billy no Mates = A person with no friends
Till
- Cash Register
Scone
= American biscuit
Off License
= Liquor store
Stop
= Period ie the punctuation at the end of a declarative/imperative sentence
Take away
- To go (when ordering food), there are also 2 prices for food one if you "eat in" (more expensive) and one if you "take away"
Holiday
= Vacation
Skunk
= Weed ( aka hash for flower children)

I have taken loads of pictures, click the picture below to see them. (read the captions!)
Paris and such


3 comments:

  1. So what's the Bird doing this Weekend?!?

    Hahahhahaha...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to smake you in the scone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hafeezah Abdullah!!!

    Hello!

    Goodbye!

    ReplyDelete